Covid 19 Statement
We acknowledge that this is a hard time for many people. We have had difficult conversations between ourselves, our staff and our students. After completing a detailed risk assessment, we have decided to take a cautious approach when it comes to managing the risk that Covid 19 adds to our activities.
We have chosen this response due to the following reasons:
- We are a close contact business.
- In order for us to safely teach people to dive we need to be close to them.
- Much of the equipment we use involves contact with the mouth, breath and saliva.
- Covid 19 is a disease of the lungs and healthy lungs are required by all divers.
- So while the consequences for most people may be minor the consequence for a diver could be catastrophic.
- If one of us was to contract Covid, we could be required to undertake testing to return to diving. If our health system is under pressure (it already is) testing like this will not be prioritised.
- If a diver contracts Covid they may never be able to dive again.
- If a dive instructor gets Covid it could end their career.
- If a career programme student gets Covid their career could end before it has even started.
- If Covid was to spread amongst our workforce and or our student population, it could compromise the viability of our business and the incomes of the 13 people we employ.
Because these consequences are so serious for us as divers, we will require vaccine passes for all participants of the following services we provide:
- Tertiary / Career Programmes
- Recreational / Short Courses
- First Aid and Oxygen Courses
- Pool Experiences
- Equipment Hire
- Club Dives
- Dive Trips
We respect everyone to make their own choices about their bodies and we hope our choices are given the same respect.
Ngā mihi, take care
Virginia, Dan and the Dive Otago Team.